[Arm-netbook] The Potential at Hand. (Was: device tree not the answer in the ARM world)

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:43:12 BST 2013

luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> luke.leighton wrote:

>>>   vladimir: we've established that you are outside of the normal
>>> parameters, and are not representative of the target markets.  the
>>> specifics of the setup that you have are therefore not relevant for
>>> discussion.
>>

>> "outside of the normal parameters" - I like that :)
>
>   :) yes.  the goal of this project is to satisfy mass-volume end-users
> needs.  so we have to imagine "what does the average person buy, what
> does the average person need".
>
>   the irony is that, personally, i am a techie who does not even like
> smartphones: i prefer dumb-phones.  i don't buy DVD players, tablets,
> gaming machines and so on.  i am "techie'd out" from e.g. having done
> 72 hours straight of gaming back in 1995 with 2 friends (yes, we
> literally played games for 3 days continuously), and having set up 6
> machines in my house to play descent in 1994.  and having owned 9
> smartphones i now own zero.  and so on.
>
>   so i am not exactly the best person to ask about what the "average
> person" wants, either!  so we have to imagine.

and you imagine that the average person will buy a "whatever player"
that costs more because he can maybe upgrade it?

In the past, that was true for e.g. PCs, but simply for the reason
that most PCs were these big grey boxes with PCI slots. These days
average people buy iPads ...

but hey, let's agree to disagree :)