[Arm-netbook] The Potential at Hand. (Was: device tree not the answer in the ARM world)

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:36:04 BST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> luke.leighton wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> but see, this old DVD player has SD analog video outputs only, it has no
>>> ethernet either nor a USB host. So yes, I could swap the CPU brains, but
>>> what for? to decode HD video and then downscale it to blurry analog SD?
>>

>>   vladimir: we've established that you are outside of the normal
>> parameters, and are not representative of the target markets.  the
>> specifics of the setup that you have are therefore not relevant for
>> discussion.
>

> "outside of the normal parameters" - I like that :)

 :) yes.  the goal of this project is to satisfy mass-volume end-users
needs.  so we have to imagine "what does the average person buy, what
does the average person need".

 the irony is that, personally, i am a techie who does not even like
smartphones: i prefer dumb-phones.  i don't buy DVD players, tablets,
gaming machines and so on.  i am "techie'd out" from e.g. having done
72 hours straight of gaming back in 1995 with 2 friends (yes, we
literally played games for 3 days continuously), and having set up 6
machines in my house to play descent in 1994.  and having owned 9
smartphones i now own zero.  and so on.

 so i am not exactly the best person to ask about what the "average
person" wants, either!  so we have to imagine.