[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat May 25 17:46:36 BST 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Marco Caminati
<spam.caminati at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I join to the complaining about dpkg.
> I wonder how many of you have ever tried tinycorelinux.net.
> It strives to rely on shell scripts, software leverage and minimalism as much as possible, building from linux kernel and busybox.
> It's a beautiful effort I tried (somehow successfully) to port to Allwinner A10; sadly, I have not much time to bring the effort further: next step would be a minimal toolchain, which is made more complicated than needed by how linux kernel and c work.
>
> Its package manager is some Bourne (busybox ash, NO bash) script lines leveraging on wget and md5sum (i.e., everything is self-contained into busybox), wisely shaped by years of usage and feedback by a loyal user base.
>
> Which makes the awful size of dpkg alone look suspicious.

 marco: how many packages are available for tinycorelinux?
 http://ftp.vim.org/os/Linux/distr/tinycorelinux/tcz/

 55 pages with about 6 packages per page, that's 330 packages.

 i've said it twice now - this makes it three times: debian manages
over THIRTY THOUSAND packages.  they also manage i think it's 13
different architectures.

 the complexity level is therefore at least three orders of magnitude
greater between what tinycorelinux does and what debian does.