[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

Marco Caminati spam.caminati at yahoo.com
Sat May 25 11:55:12 BST 2013

I join to the complaining about dpkg.
I wonder how many of you have ever tried tinycorelinux.net.
It strives to rely on shell scripts, software leverage and minimalism as much as possible, building from linux kernel and busybox.
It's a beautiful effort I tried (somehow successfully) to port to Allwinner A10; sadly, I have not much time to bring the effort further: next step would be a minimal toolchain, which is made more complicated than needed by how linux kernel and c work.

Its package manager is some Bourne (busybox ash, NO bash) script lines leveraging on wget and md5sum (i.e., everything is self-contained into busybox), wisely shaped by years of usage and feedback by a loyal user base.

Which makes the awful size of dpkg alone look suspicious.