[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri May 24 10:24:31 BST 2013

Hello,

On Fri, 24 May 2013 05:57:58 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Then you'll be doing a "dance" with a new device. Actually, for ~30
> > years of ARM embedded device mainstreamicity, thousands and
> > thousands of people contaminated internets with "easy to install
> > images" for "one" device. First problem is that noone knows what's
> > inside. Well, actually by now everyone knows what's inside - dirty
> > hacked-up unmaintained crap, also likely viruses and trojans which
> > steal your money and record your home porn.
>
>  actually, paul's got a very good point.  the debian archive keyring,
> key-signing arrrangements absolutely guarantee that you will not get
> any crap - at all - on such a system.
>
> > Btw, is that only me who thinks that dpkg is bad choice of a package
> > manager for embedded system?
>
>  yes!!! you want to go back to dll hell feel free! :)

That's not what I mean of course. There're "dedicated" package managers
for embedded systems. Opkg (http://code.google.com/p/opkg/) is pretty
good, as exemplified by multi-year OpenWRT experience (especially since
yours truly did some profiling and fixed some glorious inefficiencies:
http://code.google.com/p/opkg/source/detail?r=17
http://code.google.com/p/opkg/source/detail?r=18)

Then, there were patches to complete rpm support in busybox:
http://warmcat.com/busybox-1.1.1.pre0-rpm-enhancements.patch which were
"lost in queue", etc., etc.

--
Best regards,