[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri May 24 02:17:10 BST 2013

> Really? Aren't there thousands models of tablets and phones and
> hundreds of sticks, each of them definitely based on dozen of SoC
> types and different - availability, number and size - of screen,
> keys, ports (hundreds of variations for sure)?

He's comparing it to the "debian installer" which is still specific to
one specific dongle.  So the multitude of hardware doesn't make much
difference.  Every hardware compatible with this installer will have
pretty much the exact same hardware config (except for USB connected
thingies).

> Btw, is that only me who thinks that dpkg is bad choice of a package
> manager for embedded system? On my x86/SATA harddrive installing a 1+Mb
> package means horrible disk thrashing and of course throttling/locking
> up any other activity in the system. What to expect on low-performance
> embedded system?

aptitude works fine on a 1GHz Pentium-III with 512MB of memory.
So I don't expect any problem with debian packages on "android tv"
dongles (hell, I used apt-get on a 200MHz 64MB MIPS-based "home
router", and while slow, it was still usable).  These dongles aren't
really "embedded systems" as much as "plain old PCs in a different form
factor".

        Stefan