[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Thu May 23 23:01:20 BST 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013 22:47:58 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

>  yes?  you have a full computer in front of you - what did you
> expect!! :)  the fact that it's only what... 20mm x 8mm x 50mm should
> not detract from the fact that it's a fully-functioning computer with
> more processing power and memory than the average PC of even five
> years ago!

There is one very important difference from common computers.
Its hardware configuration is completely uniform across all devices.
The whole "installation" dance may be useful when there are thousands of
possible diverse hardware configurations the users might have. But when there's
basically only one, I see no reason to not just provide an OS in a
preinstalled, ready to boot state. Of course it shouldn't include any junk,
shouldn't have almost anything installed besides ssh and apt-get (i.e. "base
system" in Debian's terms), to act as a clean starting point for any kind of
setup the user might want.

--
With respect,
Roman