[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:22:21 BST 2013

Sorry, has been sick last week and did not do anything from my usual
work....

But I would like leave Chinese hinges as it is. Only would remove "extra
details" and adapt part where you screw it to your upper and lower body.
Other then that I would leave for now a it is. . You set your priorities
first, like put LCD, keyborad, connectors, track pad. then you think about
PCB and then you think about cables. i guess, first is to make LCD model
(because you have it, you decided which one is good candidate). then upper
body with details how to connect to body and hinges, then you think about
lower body with keyboard and trackpad. PCB (and cables) you place where you
have to and can do. This you make some non matures assembly and later you
need refining detail by detail. Generally you have to recreate every detail
on your notebook and assemble it in 3D. Solidworks is tool that you pay but
is good. there are some other tools as well.

Generally, I like your idea about making DIY notebook that look rough (and
as it is just opposite to what most companies do) and could really make ppl
proud when they assemble it. It also mean that you really will not spend
too much hours on engineering as you simply dont have these resources (at
this moment). So lets choose main parts, make 3d models of it, try to
assemble it and when we see results we can decide up to which level of
detail we will go.

attached is one example that we were doing for some switches and
thermostats based on wireless zigbee technologies(
http://www.sendspace.com/file/600779 ). Although work is not finished it
took me about month minimum to finish it and then we completely abandon
this idea to some other lines of ideas. these kind of details are needed
when you will make your notebook. It is not hard work. basically you model
it just like you would do it with clay and try to fit details into details
logically and in respect to materials and molds. But it can be time
consuming work.

Also, it is really good how fast you develop these PCBs. I think your work
could be much more valuable if you succeed to have ability to make your
hardware for your PCBs. I will try to recreate 3d models for LCD, try to
make some rough upper and lower casing and then we will discuss it.
meanwhile you have to work on keyboard and track pad idea.

<lasich at gmail.com>