[Arm-netbook] Allwinner outsells Intel

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Thu May 9 14:26:20 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 12:43 +0100, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Nonsense. A single Intel Core i7 can beat 50 ARMs easily. No problem.

We all know that is true in specific circumstances
but not generally true.

No intel CPU can clock DDR faster than 10MHz if changing
pages rapidly, and as such two ARMs each with own
DDR is quicker than any intel if each ARM has separate DDR.

I guess these things get forgotten in the great
wash of press releases.

It is relatively easy to verify it either by studying
DDR datasheets, or by a practical test such as ssh -X
into  A10 MK802 usb stick computer and ssh -X into fastest
intel you can lay your hands on and run some graphical
apps that large enough to cause a lot of RAM paging,
but not use cache friendly processor intensive tight loops.

You will be pleasantly surprised! :)