[Arm-netbook] device tree not the answer in the ARM world

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Mon May 6 19:35:32 BST 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As for already supported platforms on UEFI, I know that the Beagle
>> Board [2][3] and the Samsung Origen [4] both offer support for UEFI
>> Directly.
>
>  and the iMX6, which supports reading of UEFI partitions.  that just
> leaves every other SoC out there, of which there are hundreds, which
> don't support it.  and it's only the boot phase.
>
>  l.

There is no requirement that every SOC handle UEFI partitions.  The
Beagle board uses a TI OMAP3530, and the Origen Board uses a Samsung
Exynos 4 Quad. To my knowledge UEFI Partition support is not a feature
found on either SoC.Instead what happens is the EFI/UEFI loader takes
the place of Daz U-Boot and functions similarly to the DUET package
that was created for x86/x86_64 based systems in order to allow these
systems to develop EFI/UEFI enabled operating systems.