[Arm-netbook] device tree not the answer in the ARM world

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 6 16:25:07 BST 2013

mark, thank for this.  i'm bringing lkml back in [my decision] but
just this once as i believe the point's now been made.  i'm also
leaving it below [top-post style] as it's background, as well as
standing on its own merit.

i was under the impression that device tree had been declared
successful on power-pc [and wasn't aware of SPARC], so a reality check
is much appreciated.  in effect what you're saying is that the
standardisation through things *other* than device tree - i.e. there
wasn't so much of a problem of diversity in the first place [*1], and
this in turn means that device tree could be declared "more"
successful.

in other words, once again, the link between the original purpose for
which device tree was invented [solve the ARM hardware diversity /
proliferation problem] and its actual success in achieving that
purpose is demonstrated to be at best an assumption and at worst a
failure [in the ARM world].

that there are *other* successes - incidental to its genesis - that
device tree has solved is fantastic, but completely beside the point.

so the question becomes - unless someone can demonstrate that device
tree has or can solve the [ARM hardware diversification] problem and
nobody has so far - what *can* solve the problem of massive hardware
diversity [both SoCs and peripherals] in the face of pathological
corporate behaviour that i've outlined over the course of the past few
messages?

l.

[*1] for many reasons - not least but most obviously as mark clearly
points out: there aren't that many peripherals to support!!!