[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu May 2 22:08:48 BST 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/games_console/
>>
>> a team in spain, led by manuel, is developing an EOMA-68 hand-held
>> games console.  manuel's been talking to me about it for some time and
>> [...]

> This is actually a really interesting project.

 yes.  it's a pity the openpandora team don't "get it" as well - a
micro-laptop / games console would be superb.  well, once there are
some product sales going and/or some funds available we can do plenty
of small projects like that.

 manuel's been in touch with some more gamers, and made some tweaks.
the pictures in the updated wiki page are going to pretty much be the
final version of the console:

    http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/games_console/

> It just leaves me wondering a few things.

 ... and manuel kindly answered.

> 1) What's the expected screen size? ( A range is ok... I would expect
> it to be similar to most modern hand helds and cell phones so 4" or so
> )

 5in 800x480.  probably driven direct from the 24-pin RGB/TTL of
EOMA-68.  don't honestly know but it's unlikely to be LVDS (really not
needed at those rates).

> 2) How much battery power is going in?

2500-3000mAh

> 3) Will this include a microphone and/or webcam?

 no.

> 4) What's the Anticipated unit price?

 don't know yet.  manuel's still costing it out.

it would be great if people could help to find them a plain vanilla
5in touchpanel.  it turns out that touch panels are *copyrighted*.
the only reason that http://xcl.so 7in design is $7 is because someone
put it into the public domain.  this is *very* unusual but it means
that the flying squirrel can be cost-competitive rather than $30
over-priced.

it would be great for manuel to be able to keep this cost-competitive
right from the start.