[Arm-netbook] Flying Squirrel Screen

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 09:52:15 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 14:44 -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 06/19/2013 01:29 PM, Chris Bolas wrote:
> > I know it's been posted that an IPS screen would be integral, I've got
> > thoughts more toward usability. Also how about 7.5" rather than 7"? I'm
> > thinking the XO Laptop from OLPC on laptop per child might fit right in
> > with this sort of thing. $85 for a replacement screen for the xo here
> > <http://ilovemyxo.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/olpc-xo-replacement-screens-back-in-stock/#comments>.
>
> The whole XO screen tech has been spun out as it's own venture and there
> are now as few different sizes available
>
> http://pixelqi.com/our_screens
>
> Simply a little too late for the current revision of the Flying
> Squirrel. But worth considering for later tablets.
>
> You can even now find them in the hobbyist marked with controller boards.
>
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/1303

$300? A bit of cost realism is missing somewhere.

I would buy a $50 tablet from aliexpress and
replace the internals taking care to re-use
batteries and any worthwhile bits.
That is half of a half baked idea for
EOMA netbook 1st batch. If it worked, who cares??!!!

(Put the left over PCB into a reflow oven, and tip
out rapidly to collect a whole bunch of
SMD components to re-use.)