[Arm-netbook] Flying Squirrel Screen

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 20:03:26 BST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Chris Bolas <tanlaan33 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know it's been posted that an IPS screen would be integral, I've got
> thoughts more toward usability. Also how about 7.5" rather than 7"? I'm
> thinking the XO Laptop from OLPC on laptop per child might fit right in with
> this sort of thing. $85 for a replacement screen for the xo here.

the flying squirrel screen is i believe $23 in 10k volumes, as it's
the old kindle fire one.

  btw chris i think i'm right in saying that we still need your
payment for the CPU Card!!  you will have received a paypal invoice
(at least twice) from qimod.com.  please email me off-list and cc
sales at qimod.com if you can't find it.

> Information on the screen is available here.
> I will be the first to admit that the screen itself has an interesting, and
> to some annoying, screen jag due to the pixel layout. However the battery
> life improvements would be stellar. You could be using 1/10th the power and
> gain resolution by turning off the backlight on a sunny day. Anybody else
> have an opinion on the subject?

 if they get some orders for 10 million+ units the price will come down.

 from what i recall, there is however a design flaw in the pixel qi
concept: to get to where they are they had to *massively* reduce the
viewing angle, which is even noticeable between left and right *eye*
straight-on, let alone a different angle.

 so yes, sunlight-readable and can do B&W and so on, but you have to
have an application for it and an order of 10 million or above.