[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Mon Jun 17 11:58:11 BST 2013

On 11-06-13 18:39, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM, mike.valk at gmail.com
> <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But trying to pus CedarX as the 'new' standard seems a bad idea too
>> me. Just another fish in the pond.
>
>   mike as i understand it the stuff you mentioned is all userspace,
> where typically the equaliser there is ffmpeg (aka libav now) or
> perhaps libgstreamer.
>
>   this is kernel-side which is a whole new ballgame and there yes the
> first team that does a decent job tends to set the standard.
>
> l.

As said, the Broadcom Crystal HD is the first 'hardware decoder' in the
kernel (but requires closed firmware :( ) but I don't think it adheres
to any standard.

Yeah, vpdau etc etc are all userspace bits except OpenMAX. I think that
has it's paws everywhere. I think there's OpenMAX Developer layer,
Integration layer etc, its been a while so it's a little blurry. While
the specs etc are all good; there's very little examples available on
HOW to integrated it. The spec even allows for certain layers to be
merged. So far (and I'm sure i'm not qualified to say this) it seems
more trouble then it's worth. There's no specific easy documents or
worse proper examples. I don't think there's a single in kernel driver
that does this yet. So if they manage, way bonus points :)

Other points that could be helpfull

A list of IP cores that they DID make themselves. That way, they don't
say anything about the other stuff, and we know at least what driver
will have to be written no matter what.