[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 1st patch orders gone out, and invoices

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:01:38 BST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:
> Maybe I missed this somewhere on the list (I did a google search "headers
> site:http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/"), but looking at the
> samples posted here
> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/news/working_sample_002.png , I don't
> see the FPC45 expansion header listed on the orders page, nor the 44pin DIL
> present on the Rev0 engineering sample from December. Will these also be
> absent from the 1st Batch orders and/or the "final" revision?

 yes.  there's simply been not enough space.  also, the PCB was
designed with *only* 3 signal layers (and 2 GND and 1 power) which
means that you juuust siimply *cannot* get the routing over to an
expansion header.

 well... i say that: just not with the existing layout you can't.  if
completely redoing it (means: more NREs) then it could be considered.

> If it has been
> mentioned can someone provide the approximate date for which it was posted
> that they would be absent?

 about 4-6 months ago.  best i can do.

> If they are absent due to size constraints,
> perhaps a secondary revision could be considered utilizing these?

 yes.... once we have some money coming in from the sales of the 1st
revision, such that we have the funds available (appx $10k) necessary
to pay for the CAD/CAM rework, NREs for PCB printing etc. etc.

 at the same time we'll look at using that chinese 2-die RAM chip so
that we only need 2 DDR3 RAM ICs.  that will free up some space.

> http://www.samtec.com/documents/webfiles/pdf/FTMH_SM.PDF .
>
> I've had great success with the Samtec FTMH-120-03-F-DV for my WiPort
> devices. (40 pin Micro-LowProfile SMT DIL), the FTMH can be ordered with
> upto 50 pins. The FTMH can handle 2.5A per contact, and the FTM can handle
> 1.5A per contact, and the vendor (Samtec) has an excellent Samples/Shipping
> policy. Received complimentary next day shipping for 25 units.

 argh, we needed you about.... about.... 6-8 months ago!  if i had
this information then, it could have been considered.