[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Sat Jun 8 09:41:06 BST 2013

Removing all the other lists, as it's only noise on their radar.

Anyway, with all the negativity settled, I do understand what you are
trying, working from the topside. So lets look your proposal.

On 08-06-13 01:07, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:26:49PM +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
>>>   maxime: we need to talk :)
>>>
>>>   please tell me in 4 or 5 sentences what you've managed to do so far,
>>> expanding a little on what thomas says below, more specifically what
>>> it achieves and/or allows rather than technically what it does
>>> (suitable for managers and directors in other words), and what plans
>>> you'd like to see happen.
>>
>> You mean something like http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort ?
>
>   ahh, fantastic.  with references too.  magic.  exactly what i need.
> thank you.  listed now at
> http://hands.com/~lkcl/allwinner_linux_proposal.txt

Look for ===== markers below

Proposal: conversion to device-tree (from script.fex)
---------
==========
Should be rather obvious why this is a good thing by now. Free updates;
free maintance; Future merging will harder and harder; When android gets
fully merged, it'll be harder to 'stay behind'. (with us doing quite
some mainlining.
==========
<snip>

Proposal: funding of free-electrons.com and sunxi community
--------- to continue mainline Linux Kernel work
==========
One other thing that's maybe equally important is a technical support
channel. For really technical questions.

Example: While digging into the SID, I was looking for 2 things, what
does the pre-written value mean, we know it has something like a serial
number and the chip ID in there (some where actually zero) and how do
you program it? Does it have anything to do with Pin T9, EFUSE_VDD?

The reply? "What is your number of sales, what is the size of your
market/company" etc. I mentioned we where writing stuff as linux-sunxi etc.

They can whitelist only free-electrons or linux-sunxi.org e-mail
addresses. Have only 1 or two leisons that they willingly talk to, but
we sometimes have tons of technical questions that are simply
unanswerable by us. This will be low-volume of course. Not a real
burden, but really technical.

Benefit: Us actually being ABLE to write code (for free :( ).
==========
Current status
(more fully described here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort)
<snip>

Proposal: Provide full documentation on the NAND Flash workings
--------
==========
Also needed: Very badly: DOCUMENTATION TO EVERYTHING! ACCURATE UP TO
DATE DOCS.

We have some usermanuals for this chip with that missing, some other
chip with others missing. But no definitive proper register guide.
Things like 'this is XXX IP is used for this' would help a lot to merge
with existing driver of course.

Benefit to them? THEIR ENGINEERS NEED IT JUST AS MUCH AS WE! As said
above, we need docs to write proper drivers, as do they.
==========

<snip>

Proposal: Provide full source and tools for CEDARX
--------
==========
All is pretty much listed below. While this is less looking like kernel
work (their cedar kernel and disp!!! kernel drivers are a horrible
HORRIBLE mess); even the userspace bits (not mali of course) are just as
important to have full access too. As you point out.
==========
Benefits:

1) Allwinner does not need to be the critical dependency for maintaining
    CEDARX (no longer a bottleneck)

2) Better integration into applications will be done by the Free Software
    Community (at no cost to Allwinner), such as ffmpeg, vlc, XBMC,
gstreamer
    which opens up new markets for Allwinner SoCs and increases sales.

3) New drivers and new CODECs can be written by Free Software community,
    no reliance on Allwinner needed so no drain on Allwinner software team
    to open new markets and gain new sales opportunities.

4) Different uses of the CEDARX engine can be made (other than audio or
    video).  As a co-processor, CEDARX could be used to speed up
applications
    or Linux Kernel.

>> You should really do a bit of research before starting a thread like
>> this one.
>
>   then that gives you some idea of how busy i've been and still am, to
> not be aware even of things like this, to have kicked a project off
> some 18-24 months ago and not be able to keep up with one of the many
> branches and initiatives that it's spawned.
>
> l.

I was a little dissapointed and shocked to have found out you missed our
work. Linux-sunxi mailing list, while not perfect, does see those patches.

Oliver