[Arm-netbook] Google Groups Re: EOMA68-A20 usb fel-boot and u-boot upload (no GPL-violating allwinner boot0 or boot1 involved)

Emilio López turl at linux-sunxi.org
Mon Jun 3 13:23:44 BST 2013

El 03/06/13 09:05, luke.leighton escribió:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Emilio López <turl at linux-sunxi.org> wrote:
>
>> Although I agree that Groups is hardly the best solution out there, I
>> don't think you can call it non-free as it's not software but a service; see
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html
>
> where is the source code of google's mailing list server?  where can i
> download it from and create a software (libre) replacement?

The point that you're missing is that as a user, you don't need to run a
mailing list server to participate on one. You just send an email via a
documented protocol with whatever free client you wish, and get emails
back via the same method. The 'black box' on the other side doesn't
affect your freedom, as you are not running its code. See the GNU link I
linked earlier.