[Arm-netbook] Google Groups Re: EOMA68-A20 usb fel-boot and u-boot upload (no GPL-violating allwinner boot0 or boot1 involved)

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Mon Jun 3 12:31:13 BST 2013

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:17:55 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:15 AM, mike.valk at gmail.com <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2013/6/1 luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>:
> >> ok i have the usb fel Bus 003 Device 083: ID 1f3a:efe8 still on the
> >> bus, so the A20 3.3 kernel source from allwinner isn't resetting
> >> USB-OTG properly.  i forced it into "client only" mode which meant
> >> that it didn't segfault at least.
> >>
> >> anyway, i also got /dev/fb0 on HDMI up and running, as well as
> >> connecting a USB 4-port hub, with keyboard and mouse.  if i had a
> >> USB-Ethernet dongle i could connect to the internet.
> >>
> >> so whew going from "it's all gone to shit with gpl violations in the
> >> way" to "actually you can use this do at least do some testing, it's
> >> not perfect but it's doable" within about 3 days which is great.
> >>
> >> l.
> >
> > Great news. I assume you've let the linux-sunxi maillist know.
>
>  no i haven't: they're running on non-free infrastructure and i am
> keeping to my principles of staying as much as i can away from
> non-free server infrastructure.  if they would like to move to
> free-software-hosted infrastructure there are dozens of people willing
> to help them to do that, and i will then be happy to subscribe to the
> linux-sunxi list and will send them patches etc.

I agree it would awesome if linux-sunxi@ (and also cubieboard@ while we're at
it) were migrated away from Google Groups, because telling people to go post
message in a Google group is basically like telling them to go sign up for a
Google account* -- which is something I would like to avoid suggesting to
people.

Does not help that the web interface for reading and posting seems to get more
and more horrendous with every passing day.

* (there is a way to subscribe and post without an account, but Google likes to
  make registration seem to be the only, or at least the most obvious way.)

--
With respect,
Roman