[Arm-netbook] evaluating rk3188

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 31 15:58:08 BST 2013

>> a1) It's broken enough that people tell you never to dd into a partition,

Sadly, I didn't hear those people.

> it's possible. all you need is 'don't use MEMERASE ioctl, use bs=16384'.

I did a plain `dd' and now it doesn't boot any more.  It appears to get
into bootloader mode now.

> bootloader mode, bootloader(currently made by rockchip only) is loaded from
> flash or USB, it should be possible to read/write RAM, NAND and
> IDB(bootloader) via USB.
> rkflashtool can read/write NAND and can read RAM/IDB for now.

After my use of `dd' my mk808b boots into a mode where `rkflashtool'
accepts to read and write.  Only problem is that the write doesn't seem
to work: after "erase" I read all 0xff values, as expected, but after
any "write", I only "read" \x00 values.

> there are a lot of rkflashtool forks, but this one should be better,
>  https://github.com/crewrktablets/rkflashtools

That's the one I'm using.

Any idea what might be going on, and how I might install a working
firmware again (at this point, any firmware would do, tho what I'd like
is to install Debian on it).

        Stefan