[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 switch / NAS

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Thu Jul 25 19:28:16 BST 2013

Yo Luke,

luke.leighton <luke.leighton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=38064
>
> joe (or anyone else for that matter) - still up for doing open
> hardware projects?  i've got a requirement for doing a hybrid NAS /
> switch product which has the following features:
>
> * gigabit network ports (e.g. 4 of)
> * MiniPCIe 3G modem support with *dual* SIM sockets
> * plugs in an EOMA68 CPU Card...
> * which then turns an otherwise run-of-the-mill switch into a full NAS
> / SoHo server

I'm a little confused as to what we're doing.  Is the EOMA68 just a computer
on the side of the switch, or do you expect it to act as the wireless router
component?

If I were to guess, I expect you're talking about a form-factor like the
WRT-54G.  The problem with this is that EOMA-68, with only a single ETH
connection out, is not good for routing physical networks.  Still:

The RTL 8366 provides the gigabit switch portion:
http://realtek.info/pdf/rtl8366_8369_datasheet_1-1.pdf
Except, the EOMA68 doesn't connect ethernet by GMII, does it.

And as for the MiniPCIe modem, you might have decent success with a USB
modem in the PCIe form... but you'll confuse people if you have a PCIe slot
without PCIe connection.  So...

This looks like the closest integration you can get is hardwiring an
ethernet connection to the Micro-Engineering Board from a OpenWRT router.
The connection would be ONLY ethernet, with none of the host-to-host USB
tomfoolery (apologies to Tom).