[Arm-netbook] 5in capacitive touchpanel

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 06:52:22 BST 2013

I was investigating this matter for our product. we solve this problem in
two parts:

1) supplier of glass. basically you give them size of the glass with
detaisl (they will ask you type of glass, thickness and questions like do
you need chamfer). They also provide reverse sticker with artwork as per
your design (this is usually black frame you see on everfy mobile/tablet).

2) Supplier of sensor. This is two layer ITO film (x and y axis) with
flexible PCB and all glued on glass with OCA (optically clear adhesive).
Sometimes on flexible PCB you install IC. We will probably choose one
Chinese manufacturer for IC. Flexible PCB is connected to main board PCB
with low profile board to board connector.

I could not find supplier that has all in one. With the second supplier i
drawed sensor and exchanged at least 100 emails to come close to what we
need as there are many supplier of resistive sensor but not so many for
capacitive. But technology is almost the same (you use slightly different
ITO film) so you have to guide supplier to what you want (and therefore
read many PDFs for exact dimension of sensors, how they are overlayed,
surface resistance etc..).

We are doing motherboard PCB right now and not exactly into this at moment.
But if you like I can collect you suppliers (glass, sensor, IC, connector)
and prices what I got for my example and if you like I can send you drawing
what I did for 2.8 inch LCD. Basically you will have to choose slightly
different chip (with more x/y lines) and increase number of sensor pads as
size of sensor pad should be more or less always the same. This drawing I
have in some CAD format.

regards,
Hrvoje

<lasich at gmail.com>