[Arm-netbook] Need help finding components in China

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 09:05:51 BST 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 01:27 +0200, David Lanzendörfer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking forward to any help which is possible.
> I'm unfortunately nowhere near Guangdong (I'm located in Switzerland, Zürich)
> so I can't just go over there and check the parts out.
> I'm really desperate.
>
> >  many thanks,
> dito

The company that makes some of the PCBs for me is in Guanzhou.
They can source components in Guanzhou local markets and Shenzhen.
Shenzhen is cheaper, but need the volumes to get those prices.
They just make the expeyes PCB
http://www.gplsquared.com/SoM2/som2_work_in_progress10b.jpg
and will start buying components and populate it.

The project and all its file are open sourced and here:
http://www.gplsquared.com/SoM2/SoM2.html
http://www.iuac.res.in/~elab/phoenix/SBC/

They clocked in with quote of $108 for first batch of 15 which
is not far from EOMA first batch. The expeyes board is bigger
and has more components. First batch always has high costs because
PCB stencils and one off set up charges involved.

If that all sounds about right for your project Dave, then I can help.
Send the BOM, datasheets, gerbers, etc in one big zipped file, or better
send me a link to somewhere you uploaded the information. And precise
instructions as to what needs doing. Long discussions, use of long
words, or clever words in documents, and pointers to files here, there
and everywhere wastes time and money. Its just not how business is done
in China or through China. So keep it really short, simple and 100%
accurate. You need to be 100% on specifying of QA testing of components
and boards if you require it and have the necessary instructions to
hand. Any mistakes and oversight is obviously 'your' fault for tripping
up on any of the long list of things to get right 100%.