[Arm-netbook] any android tablets *not* with built-in baseband (e.g. MTK) but with 3G / phone capability

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 15:11:17 GMT 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 18:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 09:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> > does anyone know of any android tablets - at a reasonable price - that
> >> use a separate built-in 3G phone-capable chipset rather than using an
> >> on-board baseband DSP [and thus being 100% likely of being
> >> GPL-violating)?
> >>
> >> i have a friend who is looking to replace his samsung tablet phone
> >> with something cheaper yet good enough to use across hong kong and
> >> europe.
> >

> > I have a Samsung S2 phone and it comes with a data service
> > and allows WiFi tethering.
>
>  cool.  i forgot about that idea.  hang on... *wifi* tethering... on a
> phone?  as in - it acts as a 3G router?  and it's a mass-produced
> item?  that's awesome.  i want one!
>
> > The tethering then allows any of my different tablets to
> > connect to internet. It eliminates the need for each tablet
> > needing built in 3G, as well as allowing the phone to become
> > a miniature tablet if I forget the larger tablet.
>
>  good point.
>
>  what you reckon, adam?  i'd say he has a great point, here: you'd
> .... oo, ooo OW!  the samsung S2?  have you seen the prices?!?!   but,
> hang on, you could always do bluetooth tethering instead.

I got my S2 on a package deal of data and voice minutes.

You can also get cheap MiFi device like those from Huawei.
They look like small phones but can connect up to 5
devices wirelessly to the MiFi modem, which then
uses the 3G/HSDPA network to deliver couple hours
of internet on one charge.

(After I got S2, the Mifi was redundant - so I got rid of it)