[Arm-netbook] any android tablets *not* with built-in baseband (e.g. MTK) but with 3G / phone capability

Attila Asztalos attila.asztalos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:17:41 GMT 2013

On 19-Jan-2013 20:22, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 09:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
>> does anyone know of any android tablets - at a reasonable price - that
>>> use a separate built-in 3G phone-capable chipset rather than using an
>>> on-board baseband DSP [and thus being 100% likely of being
>>> GPL-violating)?
>>>
>>> i have a friend who is looking to replace his samsung tablet phone
>>> with something cheaper yet good enough to use across hong kong and
>>> europe.
>>
>> I have a Samsung S2 phone and it comes with a data service
>> and allows WiFi tethering.
>   cool.  i forgot about that idea.  hang on... *wifi* tethering... on a
> phone?  as in - it acts as a 3G router?  and it's a mass-produced
> item?  that's awesome.  i want one!
>
>> The tethering then allows any of my different tablets to
>> connect to internet. It eliminates the need for each tablet
>> needing built in 3G, as well as allowing the phone to become
>> a miniature tablet if I forget the larger tablet.
>   good point.
>
>   what you reckon, adam?  i'd say he has a great point, here: you'd
> .... oo, ooo OW!  the samsung S2?  have you seen the prices?!?!   but,
> hang on, you could always do bluetooth tethering instead.
>
>   l.
Look, I freely admit some ignorance here on my side, but... aren't
pretty much *all* Android phones produced in the last 2-3 years capable
of acting like a 3G router (either with a built-in or downloadable
app)...? As a case in point at around $100, see an older low-end phone
such as [1] - anywhere it says "Hotspot functionality" next to the wifi,
you should be set. Same applies to Chinese stuff - [2]. On the other
hand, apparently there has been some controversy regarding US carriers
who charge extra for that sort of thing - they couldn't *really* stop
you from doing it anyway, but it seems they might have been able to
detect it and act accordingly, whatever that means - still, the FCC
seems to be on our side... [3]

[1] - http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_y_s5360-4117.php
[2] - http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y100-4839.php
[3] -