[Arm-netbook] any android tablets *not* with built-in baseband (e.g. MTK) but with 3G / phone capability

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:22:05 GMT 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 09:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> does anyone know of any android tablets - at a reasonable price - that
>> use a separate built-in 3G phone-capable chipset rather than using an
>> on-board baseband DSP [and thus being 100% likely of being
>> GPL-violating)?
>>
>> i have a friend who is looking to replace his samsung tablet phone
>> with something cheaper yet good enough to use across hong kong and
>> europe.
>

> I have a Samsung S2 phone and it comes with a data service
> and allows WiFi tethering.

 cool.  i forgot about that idea.  hang on... *wifi* tethering... on a
phone?  as in - it acts as a 3G router?  and it's a mass-produced
item?  that's awesome.  i want one!

> The tethering then allows any of my different tablets to
> connect to internet. It eliminates the need for each tablet
> needing built in 3G, as well as allowing the phone to become
> a miniature tablet if I forget the larger tablet.

 good point.

 what you reckon, adam?  i'd say he has a great point, here: you'd
.... oo, ooo OW!  the samsung S2?  have you seen the prices?!?!   but,
hang on, you could always do bluetooth tethering instead.