[Arm-netbook] Must watch video of GK802

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 13:47:27 GMT 2013

> > 2. There is no soldered flash! It uses a micro SDCard for OS!!
> >
> > Doh!
> >
> > Why didn't anyone else think of that?! :-)
>
> A lot of tablets actually use an internal SD slot + SD card in it for the OS.
> One example I personally opened (to fix) is a Vimicro VC882-based Flytouch 6
> (aka Wopad V10, etc).

Thank you - I found some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aC0nH-5cx5c
http://blog.bertelsen.co/2011/07/backing-up-internal-sd-card.html

> > This kind of thing should now be possible for all
> > these matchbox computers because of f2fs.
>
> As you can see this was possible long before, despite some new FS.
>
> > F2fs keeps writing files to new locations and then cycle
> > back to the beginning allowing even wear levelling.
>
> SD cards already do this on the h/w level.

I know ssds do it, I wasn't aware sdcards can do it which is why
they have a wear problem.

> > The great thing is that you can now yank out the OS
> > and put a new OS in seconds. No way to brick a device.
>
> So it's just like any Allwinner A10-based device, while very nice, not any
> super new achievement either.

I was generally under the impression uSD cards are not reliable,
but if they got over those problems by fitting it with Android,
then its a smart move. With f2fs support, I think any Linux will now do
it properly.