[Arm-netbook] flying squirrel 7in tablet: 1st PCB layout attempt

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:08:28 GMT 2013

http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/kde_tablet/news/

i've absolutely no experience at this stuff, but have been quietly going
ahead with a preliminary layout, mostly to stop chinese ODMs from trying to
charge $16k for PCB layout and from trying to tell me how complex this all
must be.

we've now found a designer who isn't freaked out by the weirdness of using
an embedded STM32F, and the design will be transferred over to him in the
next couple of weeks.

also the PCB is designed to give all the EOMA68 interfaces *and* access to
the spare pins of a 100-pin STM32F, which comes to about 25 extra pins,
plus, now that i think about it, there's 3 extra from the GPIO of the
EOMA68 as well.

the CPU Cards: the processors have been re-seated on a few of the PCBs,
which now has them at least appearing on FEL boot.  whether the DDR3 RAM
works, HDMI or anything else we don't know at this phase.  chances are good
that SD/MMC works.  so if nothing else there will be demo units for
clients, so things can get moving there.

the designer will be asked to do a pass-through card so that the tablet can
be tested by plugging its screen and touchpanel into a PC, and also the
embedded software can be written, that way, independently.

it's all go.