[Arm-netbook] arm-netbook Digest, Vol 30, Issue 32

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Wed Jan 2 12:43:15 GMT 2013

On 2 January 2013 13:08, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM,  Luke Leighton wrote:

>>> could i suggest that all connectors go on one side of the PCB in order
>>> to be able to put it into a case without it looking like a spider
>>
>>  mmm.... well let's think this through.  connectors would be:
>>
>>  * micro-hdmi
>>  * micro-sd
>>  * micro-usb
>>  * RJ45 for ethernet
>>  * full-size USB x2
>>
>> anything else?
>>
>> l.
>>

> I can think of a few things that would go along this line...
> 1) What about mounting holes? The main purpose is to allow case
> designers a way to easily secure the board in custom cases in such a
> way as to prevent the board from moving around too much.
> 2) What about the option of a Board which has the expansion headers
> filled with ready to use pins?  This would definitely prevent users
> from needing to solder pins on the device to make things workable.
> 3) what about board labeling? The sample board has no clearly readable
> labels, and this is extremely important to know what to do.
> 4) small led Indicators for hobbyists? ( examples would be Power,
> Ethernet connectivity, Ethernet Connection Speed, and activity )

the EOMA64 card is intended for user replaceable on mass production
devices, see http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/EOMA-68

for boards for hobbyists and expansions headers there are other boards
with Allwinner SoCs already available like the olinuxino and the
cubieboard.

regards,
Alejandro Mery