[Arm-netbook] arm-netbook Digest, Vol 30, Issue 32

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:08:58 GMT 2013

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM,  Luke Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
>> On 12/30/12 14:06, luke.leighton wrote:
>>> as a second phase - after getting successful samples up and running -
>>> we thought about doing a version of the board which is square-ish in
>>> size which has a stack of connectors - RJ45, USB2, 5V Power etc. etc.
>>> - which would be suitable for engineering and educational purposes.
>>>
>>> thoughts, advice and comments appreciated.
>>
>> could i suggest that all connectors go on one side of the PCB in order
>> to be able to put it into a case without it looking like a spider
>
>  mmm.... well let's think this through.  connectors would be:
>
>  * micro-hdmi
>  * micro-sd
>  * micro-usb
>  * RJ45 for ethernet
>  * full-size USB x2
>
> anything else?
>
> l.

I can think of a few things that would go along this line...
1) What about mounting holes? The main purpose is to allow case
designers a way to easily secure the board in custom cases in such a
way as to prevent the board from moving around too much.
2) What about the option of a Board which has the expansion headers
filled with ready to use pins?  This would definitely prevent users
from needing to solder pins on the device to make things workable.
3) what about board labeling? The sample board has no clearly readable
labels, and this is extremely important to know what to do.
4) small led Indicators for hobbyists? ( examples would be Power,
Ethernet connectivity, Ethernet Connection Speed, and activity )