[Arm-netbook] EOMA lapdock

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Tue Dec 10 18:45:51 GMT 2013

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:28 AM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:
>
> There has been much discussion on creating an EOMA laptop.  In the
> meanwhile, an EOMA lapdock can be created by connecting an Improv board
> to a lapdock.
>
> A lapdock does not work well on a lap though. A lapdock needs to be on a
> desk or table. With a slight movement of my lap, the touchpad and
> keyboard freeze on my second Atrix lapdock while connected to a raspi.
> Sometimes pushing the Blackberry 900 Y splitter data cable tigher onto
> the lapdock's USB plug fixes the problem. Other times, it does not and
> sometimes causes shut down. I returned my first Atrix lapdock because
> slightly moving my lap caused the monitor to turn red and buzzing. I had
> to keep pushing the HDMI adapter tighter on the lapdock's HDMI plug.
>
> Matthew Ritchie manufactured custom HDMI and USB cables to insert inside
> an lapdock to replace the lapdock's plugs. I do not know whether his
> cables solves the wiggle problem. I watched videos on disassemblying a
> lapdock, but haven't tried it. There are four models of lapdocks. The
> 100 lapdock cannot be opened without breaking it.
> matthewjohnritchie at gmail.com
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59033&p=443285&hilit=Matthew+Ritchie+cables#p443285

Work is actually being done on this front. I purchased a Lapdock Pro 500 and took it completely apart. I was able to get video and keyboard. Need work for the webcam. And a custom adapter needs to be created because the USB is inverted in comparison to the HDMI. Not to mention the spacing of the connectors on the EOMA are far apart. It would be possible to keep the form factor and just replace the intermediate cable with a custom application. Or have some form of internal docking.