[Arm-netbook] Micropython boards

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Sun Dec 8 16:46:58 GMT 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>> This guy seems to be doing interesting stuff:
>> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micro-python-python-for-microcontrollers
>>
>> One way to use his board is to connect via USB
>> and drag and drop a python file and suddenly
>> you are doing embedded controller stuff :)
>
>  interesting.  looks similar to what the leaflab guys were doing a
> couple of years ago [1].  i know that definitely required a PC:
> byte-code interpretation is done on the PC, and the byte-code (only)
> is uploaded to the STM32F.

eLua [1] can run the interpreter directly on the microcontroller for
anything that is not really tiny (eg these STM32F boards). Also there
is mruby though I havent used it yet.

I really don;t like these kickstarter projects where they promise to
open source already written code after the project is funded, rather
than doing development openly. I might support it if I could see if
the software was nicely written. There probably is no real point in
making yet another board, after all the boards are not specific to the
language you run, its either a useful board for other uses or its not.

[1] http://www.eluaproject.net/