[Arm-netbook] Flashing the NAND

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:19:50 GMT 2013

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 13:25:25 +0100
Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 06 December 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >
> > * there are numerous gotchas (like that opengl demo program that you have
> > to run first to get opengles started on the A20.. wtf?) that are quietly
> > hidden away. they are on no roadmap, have no prioritization and nobody
>
> about the opengl situation, a very strange thing happens:
> with this image
> http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/cubie_eoma_ubuntu_13_04_3d.bin.xz
> from
> http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/eoma_boot.html
>
> that glark_es2 application works out of the box (the screenshot with that blue
> cat)

Yes, the glark_es2 application is supposed to work fine out of the box.
The other OpenGL ES applications are supposed to work correctly too.

> while on Mer, having built pretty much the same version of everything it needs
> that test app to be ran first (even the same glmark_es2 app)

That's really weird. And I don't remember anybody ever observing
anything like this before.

> anybody has any clue why?

We currently have to deal with a proprietary userspace mali blob
(version r3p0). This blob has a number of known bugs and glitches,
which are more or less successfully workarounded for most of the
people.

I guess that with your unusual hardware and your unusual linux distro,
the chances of encountering something unusual are a bit higher than
normal. If you have a complete SD card image where this problem can
be easily reproduced, then I could try to debug it a bit.

PS. I'm a little bit surprised that Aaron immediately assumed that
this weird behaviour is somehow the typical user experience, which
needs to be documented on the wiki. I also hope that the other
"numerous gotchas" are going to be properly reported to the
linux-sunxi developers. Patches are even more appreciated. IMHO
that's the only practical way to improve the situation. But if
somebody thinks that it is possible to achieve better results by
"holding meetings" and "creating processes", then feel free to do
so and prove me wrong :)

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka