[Arm-netbook] Upcoming CPU Card Status?

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 19:03:41 GMT 2013

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:44:50 +0100
"Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> Out of curiosity: how well does GNOME Shell run on openGL ES (1.1 or 2.0)? I
> know it has support for OpenGL ES via Clutter, but I have yet to see any
> successful bring-ups of it on ARM hardware (which may mean I just missed
> them).

Do you need a video proof of the gnome-shell desktop running on a
cubieboard or something? ;) Yes, it can run:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm.sunxi/3254

Albeit gnome-shell users are not very happy about its performance (it
just needs a lot faster *CPU*, and GPU acceleration can't help much):

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm.sunxi/4683

If somebody really wants a composited desktop, then KWin is a much
better choice. Still the X11 desktop performance is naturally better
when opting not to use any compositing window manager at all.

> I do know that LLVM was broken this year on ARM and nobody seemed keen
> to fix it, which may be problematic.

Well, LLVMPipe is interesting from the academic point of view, but has
almost no practical value on the low end hardware such as Allwinner A10
or A20.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka