[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 to 1997 IBM WorkPad/Palm Pilot Hack

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 10:59:46 BST 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:
> So, after 4 days of mucking around with 4 different cables, I FINALLY have
> some output, but I had to go through unconventional means just to get a
> working Serial Console..

 yeah - the way i've discovered is that you boot the CPU Card with the
RS232-USB cable *unplugged* at the USB end, then plug it in.  if it's
gone through to android by that point, run "adb shell" then reboot it.
 you can then press 22222222222 2 2 2 2 and if you catch the thing
going through the boot0 process you'll see 15 lines, the last of which
mentions it's gone into fel mode.  if instead it goes boot0, boot1,
u-boot and goes into the 3-2-1-0 countdown press space, type "reset"
in u-boot then quickly start typing "2" again.  enough times round
that you'll get used it.

 of course if you blow away the nand under android then it *always*
goes to fel, but only do that if you are never ever going to want the
boot0, boot1 or allwinner-compiled u-boot.

> Bought an FTDI cable and spent the better part of a week troubleshooting it,
> bought a replacement "3v TTL" Nokia DKU-5, only to find out, it was a Legit
> DKU-5, not the Knock-off I was hoping for, then had 2 standard 5v RS232
> Adapters, but neither one was suitable, especially considering one spiked
> and kill my MAX3232 circuit, so in order to get SOMETHING working, I hacked
> my Palm Pilot, it has a Sipex SP385ACA RS232 Line Driver/Receiver , but
> operates natively at 3.3V TTL. So by tapping into the 3.3V Line Out pins on
> the SP385A, I was able to display the serial output, allowing me to finally
> setup FEL-BOOT.  Will compile and install Debian w/ the SATA and Ethernet
> modules tomorrow and see if we can't get something working!

 awesome.

> Pardon the mess:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnuj_cJ1lSo

 that's hilarious