[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 20:03:35 BST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM, mike.valk at gmail.com <mike.valk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2013/8/15 Christopher Thomas <christopher at firemothindustries.com>:
>> > Good Morning everyone,
>> >
>> >    I spoke to a few of you recently and explained a little of what I had
>> > in
>> <snip>
>> > the works for our project. open to opinions.
>>
>> Great news. This board would also make an excellent base for a multi disk
>> NAS.
>

> In order for this to really function as a dedicated NAS, different design
> considerations would have to be considered. Albeit, the footprint is
> suitable enough to fit the required components into to make it workable, the
> types and quality of components currently being used/designed with are not
> what I would really consider reliable NAS grade.

 multi-disk NAS.... nobody's ever said whether the SATA interface on
the A20 is capable of doing multiple endpoints [through a SATA
splitter/router].

> as few requirements and/or components necessary to make it such. I do have
> plans for a full-scale desktop class motherboard, but that is after this
> smaller, more affordable platform can be built.

 awesome.  i think you'd be able to claim one of the pre-existing
community ideas if you did that.

>> 3. The EOMA68 (b/h)ackers already have info/knowledge on the STM32x
>> from the flying squirrel.

 libopencm3 - LGPL'd - lots of other bits.  although to be honest
having seen the MK20 which appears to have full-speed USB *and* I2S
even in a 40-pin package @ $1.60 i'm kinda stunned and amazed.

 i wonder what the STM32F103RBT6 goes for, now, in HK 10k?  6 months
ago it was $2.36 - but if you're seeing $1.60 for 1k then it's
probably a heck of a lot less.