[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68-A20 Card, RTC?

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Aug 16 18:09:26 BST 2013

fre 2013-08-16 klockan 16:50 +0100 skrev luke.leighton:

>  well the question we asked ourselves was: is it acceptable to let an
> unpowered CPU Card just lose its time setting after say e.g. 24 hours?

To me it's entirely acceptable if the CPU card looses all sene of time
at power off.

But I would not like my tablet or laptop to loose time only because I
suspended/hibernated..

So RTC function belongs in the I/O board, but I don't see it as a
mandatory requirement. Instead it depends on the application

- "consumer" device that uses time as part of normal application
(tablet, phone, laptop, ...), RTC support is mandatory.

- Server/router type device. Optional, just as having a screen, USB
port, storage etc is optional.

but not ruling out the use of a CPU card provided RTC either.. these are
quite common part of modern SoCs, and do not really require that big
power buffer to keep time for some noticeable time, but if I/O board do
have an RTC and it looks like it has a sane time then it takes priority.

What certainly needs to be standardised is how to discover if the I/O
board do have an RTC, and how to address the RTC to find or set current
time.

Regards
Henrik