[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Fri Aug 16 16:42:52 BST 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org> wrote:

> On 08/15/2013 08:34 PM, Christopher Thomas wrote:
>

> Will you be providing arduino pin headers for shields?
> It doesn't need to be populated, but it would fast track adding on the
> functionality listed above. If you do opt for this, don't forget the ISP
> header. Many shields (like the Ethernet shield) use if for communication.
>
> {The drawback to the above is it starts to really increase complexity of
> routing the board. I'd wager it really is starting down the path of feature
> creep and unchecked scope growth.}

 Agreed,  and while I did think something like the Udoo would be beneficial
(and it would be), like you said, the routing might become an issue,
especially with the Arduino's non-standard header spacing issue, dual USB
hubs, and the AXP20*. For those who want to use arduino shields, might, in
this case, be better suited to using a cable. I mainly wanted to cater to
the SOFTWARE aspect of Arduino. Being able to execute arduino code
natively, while not expressly supporting the arduino shields would be the
best compromise in my opinion. And to be honest, I've never personally used
a genuine arduino w/ shield. It has always been a simple atmegaNNNN running
arduino code hooked up to whatever project I was working on.(Granted, I'm
not "everyone" and probably the minority in these situations.)

Take this Door Chime Relay I made/hacked up for my 1995 VW Golf a few years
back, dead-bug/freewired a bare 32 TQFP to an ICSP header and 7805,
superglued the 0402 capacitors to the underside of the chip with magnet
wire shards providing the connections. :) It ran a simple arduino MIDI
sketch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWV3cYsR8Wc (Warning, explicit language, and
very simplified explanations, also "embedded" is used very loosely.)

I think if it's possible to offer shield compatibility without making it
overly complex, great, but the scope was just to provide GPIO for the new
and old hacker to use as they see fit using the Arduino IDE or
WinAVR/AVRDude gcc stuff. If I were to use a larger Atmel or STM32F with
30+ GPIO, I might consider it. But I wanted to get away with as small a
board possible while still maintaining the connectivity.

> The Udoo is all in one ARM PC with Arudino Mega footprint on board.I
> rather certain this is device that Luke was referring to in another post.
>
> http://www.udoo.org/

Not to mention, the Udoo's cheapest model is $99 without Ethernet. I do
like their use of the SAM3X8E, as a Cortex M3, its' a great chip, but as it
is a 3.3v chip, would require additional components to make it "safe" to
use, and again, increases complexity. (Although if we use the AXP20XX, I
believe it can handle the 3.3v Power requirements on LD0). That's not to
mention it's a $7 chip (vs $1.87 or less for the ATMEGA32U4) and 144-LQFP,
and would require significant design changes.

Basically, to adapt Abraham Lincoln's quote:
"You can {sed s/fool/please} some of the people all the time, and all of
the people some of the time, but you can not please  {sed
s/fool/please} all of the people all of the time."

> --
> Scott Sullivan

Christopher Thomas
Firemoth Industries, LLC - Owner