[Arm-netbook] Your personal wish list for an I/O board. (Was: EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept)

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Aug 16 10:21:44 BST 2013

Henrik Nordström <henrik at henriknordstrom.net> writes:

> tor 2013-08-15 klockan 22:32 +0100 skrev luke.leighton:
>
>>  no they're not - i put the feedback onto pin 56 of EOMA68.  it was
>> very hard to get hold of low-profile ethernet transformers, and they
>> were... _expensive_.   so, that's moved to the other side of the
>> EOMA68 interface.  it was only when i looked closely at the Q-Seven
>> standard that i realised whoops, it's absolutely essential to have the
>> ethernet feedback on the standard.... oops :)
>
> Ok.
>
> Then all clear. Ethernet will still work even if the I/O board is
> unpowered.

So, does that mean that we could power the board off of two cheap-shit
phone chargers, and survive when they inevitably catch fire?  ;-)

I'm guessing that that would need some cleverness to be able to take
power from either or both, and detect which is powered up, and perhaps some
more cleverness to bump the voltage back up to 5v after going through
that first stage -- particularly if we're hoping to survive the
cheap-shit supply putting mains on its earth line when it melts ;-)

(I like that idea, as we're going to be knee deep in micro-usb phone
chargers now that phones have standardised.)

Cheers, Phil.