[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Aug 15 15:29:34 BST 2013

On 08/15/2013 10:20 AM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 05:51 AM, Christopher Thomas wrote:
>> So, Ejectable PCMCIA, 4 Port USB Hub IC, with 2 available external
>> ports, two ports are being utilized for the ATMEGA32U4, and USB Audio
>> IC.
>
> I'd like to catch this now. It has been a major sin of ARM board
> manufactures to only provide USB ports with USB connectors. The Via APC
> boards are particularly bad for this, especial because they have a
> mini-ITX like form factor (called Neo ATX?)[1].
>
> Some USB ports should be brought out on the conventional 0.1" headers
> you see on ATX motherboards (or the USB 3.0 equivalent 20pin connector).
> This is especially important if making it ITX case compatible. Cases
> will have front facing ports, and not including a header means any user
> can not use their case to it's fullest.
>
> This does mean that you'll either have to choose a Hub chip with more
> ports, or include a second hub. Additionally, headers for front panel
> audio, power/reset switches and LEDs should be considered as well.

Additional thoughts. The power/reset switches and LEDs should really be
brought out on an ATX FPanel connector and routed to the EMOA-68 GPIO
pins. The should then be properly described in the EEPROM.

This means that the 44 pin break can not be used as is. But his is not
an engineering board at this point, it is a proper IO board.

Additionally, the question comes to my mind, how do you coordinate power
down of the IO board. I'm guessing there needs to be some sort of the
I2C power management chip for the I/O board? Otherwise how do you force
a power down of the USB peripherals? Phantom power issues if you don't
manage it?

--
Scott Sullivan