[Arm-netbook] SHIPPING!: EOMA-68 Micro Engineering Boards

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Mon Aug 12 00:44:49 BST 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Christopher Thomas
> <christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:
> > Another QC/QA issue. Just snapped off the micro USB connector while
> trying
> > to plug it in,
>
>  ooo, ouch.  are the tracks ok (so you can at least get access to
> uUSB)?  wait... this is a mid-mount part.
>
> > and noticed that while there is solder on the pads below the
> > board, it never wicked up to the top of the board to hold the connector
> in
> > place, only a single bead of solder on the top right corner was holding
> it
> > onto the traces (plus the solder on the traces themselves).
>
>  hang on... there's 4 mounting points, one in each corner.  the uUSB
> should have been soldered in all 4 of the mounting points: if it came
> out you would have been using one hell of a lot of force...

Only ONE corner actually had solder on it. Uploading photos.

>  ... unless they rushed that one and didn't bother to solder it down
> at the mounting points.
>
> > And there's a
> > big glob of solder from the "pin-56 capacitor"  to the TP/Ground pad
> next to
> > it. Waiting for my Nikon D3100 to charge then I'll get you those hi-res
> > photos.
>
>  ok, good idea.  i'll get them back to the ODM - it sounds like they
> did a really poor job on the board that you got.
>
>  i wonder if they did all those connectors by hand?

Judging by the look of the flux left behind and the condition of the traces
on pins 30-34 and 64-68 as well lack of solder on 3 out of 4 contact points
of the uUSB, I'd say yes. If I can get the capacitors, I can resolder the
correct ones if need be. I have a scope here and a digital macro lens.

> l.

Christopher Thomas
Firemoth Industries, LLC - Owner
christopher at firemothindustries.com