[Arm-netbook] SHIPPING!: EOMA-68 Micro Engineering Boards

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 21:34:25 BST 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:

> The current functional prototype is "almost" finished. It's really just a

> roughed out to know where the bezels, posts, and such will go. We've been
> doing preliminary research throughout the Customer Keyboard scene
> (Deskthority/Geekhack) to gauge the "DIY/Modder" scene and have received
> very favorable responses.

 awesome!

> The prototype features:
>
>    61 - Matias Quiet Click Mechanical Keyswitches (Rated near 50 Million
> Actuations) with 61 individual 1N4148 diodes for NRKO/anti-ghosting (I have
> a connection where I can buy 4,800 for $600, versus $3,504 for the same
> amount from Cherry). The Matias Click and QuietClick Switches are based off
> the vintage Alps CM Switches found in the Apple Extended Keyboards, and have
> a very durable and pleasant typing experience. The QuietClicks are the
> Optimal Solution for Classrooms, Call Centers, Cubicle Offices. Mechanical
> Switches also provide the ability for repair, unlike "Rubber Dome" membrane
> keyboards if the membrane fails you're out the price of the keyboard.

 well... oh wait, 4,800 for $600?  yeah it's hardly worthwhile finding
a random laptop keyboard at those prices.

>    4-port USB-2.0 Powered Hub based off the NEC D720112GK IC
> (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/92415/NEC/UPD720112GK-9EU.html)
>       (Although we'd like something a little easier to acquire, like the
> GL850G used in a few other Allwinner A10 boards. It's also relatively cheap
> at $1.20, or the USB5534 USB 3.0 HUB from Microchip/SMSC for $5.35)

 take a look at the fe1.1 (it's in quite a few open source projects)
and err.. err... ah!  USB2514-AEZG which was recommended to me for the
flying squirrel, i was going to go with the fe1.1 but was persuaded to
use the usb2514 because the PCB layout guy knew it and trusted it.

>    RTL8188CUS 802.11n Wifi Module

 is it FCC/CE approved?  consider using the same wifi module as the
novena laptop, it's USB-based, it's ATH9k-based, and needs no firmware
upload.

 if you like i can introduce you to my contact at sparklan, i need a
good excuse to beat them over the head on pricing of the RTL8188
module they're offering - it doesn't come with an FCC/CE approval
certificate, i need an excuse to beat them over the head on that, too
:)

>    AT90USB1286 doing the Programmable Keyboard Matrix Control
>    5" 800x400 Capactitive Touch Screen as a Multi-functional touchpad, we're
> using a very "expensive" ($50+) FM-TPM050800480-01 at the moment, because it
> is water/spill proof and very durable, and we had it lying around, however,
> we have not been able to find a suitable replacement yet. (24bit TTL with
> i2c Touchpanel)

 you spoke to manuel, yeah?  he's been tracking down 800x480 LCDs with
panels for... aageees....

> That's about it. Right now, because there is no PCB (due to problems above),
> I've managed to Pin-to-Pin/Perfboard wire almost everything up.  Still
> working on getting the LCD interfaces wired correctly, I ordered 200 Matias
> Switches and they arrive tomorrow. The PCMCIA connector we're using is a
> slim-line DELL 600 PCMCIA Adapter w/ Smart Card Reader. I have some other
> samples from Amphenol that will work great once we get the PCB designed.

 ok good.  they're a good price too.

> haven't worked out the best VGA solution yet either, all of our programmers
> have HDMI capable monitors so that need has been filled by the stock EOMA-68
> A20 Cards, however, VGA is a MUST for our call center and training labs
> (open to suggestions).

 if you don't find anything else try the Chrontel 7036... lemme look
it up....  oh, no, not the 7036 that requires LVDS input - try the
7034 instead:
 http://www.chrontel.com/index.php/products/display-interface/ch7034-hdtv-vga-lvds-encoder

 don't be surprised if they're $2.50 ok?

 ok - i've made you an introduction (to conexant) - can i please ask a
favour, that you add USB-based audio as well?  the IC's $0.85 or so,
gives stereo speakers, mic-in and headphone socket.

 if you add those then with VGA as well then i can get it in to that
school market i was talking about... you'll be happy to know it's
USA-based.

> Unfortunately, I have had very little time to sit
> down and do what is needed due to recent unforeseen circumstances and
> commitments. We're pushing for end of August/Early September to get a
> head-start on having something to show to potential clients for the start of
> the next Fiscal Year (ie/ October).
>

>> > Perhaps, perhaps we can organize some sort of Flex Goals and
>> > such.
>>
>>  oo that'd be a great idea.
>>
>> > Considering the success of our Thin-Client relies on the success of
>> > the EOMA-68 Platform.
>>
>>  ... true :)
>>
>>  we have a client looking to do a 10k order so if the timing's right
>> it'd be possible to ride on the back of that, and you'd get better
>> pricing.
>

>    My main employer is a "Pro-USA" company (IE, Texan/Anti-China)

 ah... with TI buying up National Semi i'm _sure_ they should have an
RGB/TTL-to-VGA IC by now.

 and, i should introduce you to james, he has contacts with U.S. State
Education Dept and has been looking at EOMA68 for some time.

> so we were
> initially attempting to have these made in the USA, however, in-order for it
> to be profitable, we'd have to order a MINIMUM of 500 PCBs, and I'm just not
> certain we could garner that many up-front at first.

 are you kidding?? :)  tom's campaign met its target within a few
_days_.  neal managed his as well.

> But who knows,
> Kickstarter and Indiegogo Campaigns have a strange way to surprise you.

 yyup.  tom did it by offering the first few at a discount price
(first 10 or 20 or so).  that got him quite a few on-board straight
away, they then went and told everyone else, and it just went nuts
from there.

 ... i think... y'know... there are enough people out there interested
in this stuff, you'd be the first to do an easy-to-use-and-upgrade
crowd-funded product...

> That
> said, we're in a Global Economy, which means, if all that stands between
> making your product a reality a bit of "National Pride" and a foreign
> country, then you swallow your pride and take the path of least resistance.
>

>>  oh btw the EOMA68-A20 end-plate's been done - it looks good.
>>

>  Nice! I'd like to get a couple. :D

 later!  these are for big clients that we're counting on to get the
cost down, for everyone, so they have to look pretty :)