[Arm-netbook] SHIPPING!: EOMA-68 Micro Engineering Boards

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Tue Aug 6 21:08:47 BST 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Christopher Thomas
> <christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:
> > We are launching an Indiegogo for our Thin-Client at the end of
> August/Early
> > September.
>
>  woo!  hey do you have some specs at all?  i have a client who'd like
> a thin-ish client with audio and vga out (for schools - they get given
> thousands of VGA monitors).

The current functional prototype is "almost" finished. It's really just a
hodge-podge of components thrown into a pre-existing case to get the idea
fleshed out. Our PCB/CAD designer left for a "better" job in California, so
I'm having to build it from scratch. I can use KiCAD with SOME modicum of
skill, but not what is required to build a production grade device.  The
idea was started as a purpose built system for our field techs and
programmers, and we only intended to manufacture 10 or so. Then a client I
was doing consulting work for expressed an interest, and so, here we go.
The reason we're going with an Indiegogo campaign is to provide some seed
funding to help pay for the same things Luke mentioned for the iMX6 cards.
We were only looking at an initial goal of $5K to design a more refined
prototype PCB, with Flex/Stretch Goals to incorporate contributing to QiMOD
or other Manufacturers to develop higher powered EOMA-68 CPU Cards. I have
a freelance Solidworks designer who is willing to do the casework for a
relatively minimal fee (College student), but we have to get a PCB at least
roughed out to know where the bezels, posts, and such will go. We've been
doing preliminary research throughout the Customer Keyboard scene
(Deskthority/Geekhack) to gauge the "DIY/Modder" scene and have received
very favorable responses.

The prototype features:

   -    61 - Matias Quiet Click Mechanical Keyswitches (Rated near 50
   Million Actuations) with 61 individual 1N4148 diodes for
   NRKO/anti-ghosting (I have a connection where I can buy 4,800 for $600,
   versus $3,504 for the same amount from Cherry). The Matias Click and
   QuietClick Switches are based off the vintage Alps CM Switches found in the
   Apple Extended Keyboards, and have a very durable and pleasant typing
   experience. The QuietClicks are the Optimal Solution for Classrooms, Call
   Centers, Cubicle Offices. Mechanical Switches also provide the ability for
   repair, unlike "Rubber Dome" membrane keyboards if the membrane fails
   you're out the price of the keyboard.

   -    4-port USB-2.0 Powered Hub based off the NEC D720112GK IC (
   http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/92415/NEC/UPD720112GK-9EU.html
   )
         (Although we'd like something a little easier to acquire, like the
   GL850G used in a few other Allwinner A10 boards. It's also relatively cheap
   at $1.20, or the USB5534 USB 3.0 HUB from Microchip/SMSC for $5.35)

   -    RTL8188CUS 802.11n Wifi Module
   -    AT90USB1286 doing the Programmable Keyboard Matrix Control
   -    5" 800x400 Capactitive Touch Screen as a Multi-functional touchpad,
   we're using a very "expensive" ($50+) FM-TPM050800480-01 at the moment,
   because it is water/spill proof and very durable, and we had it lying
   around, however, we have not been able to find a suitable replacement yet.
   (24bit TTL with i2c Touchpanel)

That's about it. Right now, because there is no PCB (due to problems
above), I've managed to Pin-to-Pin/Perfboard wire almost everything up.
 Still working on getting the LCD interfaces wired correctly, I ordered 200
Matias Switches and they arrive tomorrow. The PCMCIA connector we're using
is a slim-line DELL 600 PCMCIA Adapter w/ Smart Card Reader. I have some
other samples from Amphenol that will work great once we get the PCB
designed.  I haven't worked out the best VGA solution yet either, all of
our programmers have HDMI capable monitors so that need has been filled by
the stock EOMA-68 A20 Cards, however, VGA is a MUST for our call center and
training labs (open to suggestions). Unfortunately, I have had very little
time to sit down and do what is needed due to recent unforeseen
circumstances and commitments. We're pushing for end of August/Early
September to get a head-start on having something to show to potential
clients for the start of the next Fiscal Year (ie/ October).

> > Perhaps, perhaps we can organize some sort of Flex Goals and
> > such.
>
>  oo that'd be a great idea.
>
> > Considering the success of our Thin-Client relies on the success of
> > the EOMA-68 Platform.
>
>  ... true :)
>
>  we have a client looking to do a 10k order so if the timing's right
> it'd be possible to ride on the back of that, and you'd get better
> pricing.

   My main employer is a "Pro-USA" company (IE, Texan/Anti-China) so we
were initially attempting to have these made in the USA, however, in-order
for it to be profitable, we'd have to order a MINIMUM of 500 PCBs, and I'm
just not certain we could garner that many up-front at first. But who
knows, Kickstarter and Indiegogo Campaigns have a strange way to surprise
you. That said, we're in a Global Economy, which means, if all that stands
between making your product a reality a bit of "National Pride" and a
foreign country, then you swallow your pride and take the path of least
resistance.

>  oh btw the EOMA68-A20 end-plate's been done - it looks good.

 Nice! I'd like to get a couple. :D

Christopher Thomas
Firemoth Industries, LLC - Owner
christopher at firemothindustries.com