[Arm-netbook] evaluating rk3188

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 11:10:29 BST 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Liviu Dudau <liviu at dudau.co.uk> wrote:

> I confess that I was talking a bit in abstract here and I was thinking
> that something akin to the "whistleblower" status applies here. If you
> are asked to sign an NDA that goes against the law and then go and
> break that contract, I was hoping that the law offers some sort of
> protection.

 that's the problem - it doesn't. the problem here is that unlike
situations where the Treaty of Rome applies (and, i believe, even in
situations where it does), the illegality (or otherwise) has
absolutely no bearing or influence over your obligations to honour
it... once signed.

 but, bringing it back to NDAs: in the case of GPL-incompatible NDAs,
GPL-incompatible NDAs aren't actually illegal - they're "merely"
incompatible, nothing more.  so once signed, that's it - it really is
Game Over.

 what you need to do instead is point out the incompatibility *BEFORE*
signing, and ask them to modify it so that it _is_ compatible.  this
isn't difficult to do - it's only a small thing to ask.