[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 06:54:43 BST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Hrvoje Lasic <lasich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think, if you refer to 15 inch hinges, they are tubular, at least in
> the
> > middle (important) part.
>
>  i meant tubular on the outside.

it is "of the shelf" part. we have to remove what is not needed.

> > here is render so you can see:
> >
> > http://www.sendspace.com/file/ipus8u
>
>  that means that you now have to make a part that holds (and attaches)
> that part inside it.
>
>  i would like something that is *both*.  the hinge being its own
> external casework in other words.  the exact internal mechanism of
> that friction (or spring) hinge i'm not certain how they work (and
> don't mind!).  what i'm keen to see is that those parts should
> clearly, simply and easily attached to the two parts.
>
>  remember that what we're *not* designing is a laptop where everything
> has to be hidden because prying fingers might destroy it through
> disassembly therefore it must comprise over 140 parts (google the
> "bloom laptop") and take 5 professors and 30 students over 4 hours to
> work out how to completely take apart.

this makes our work easier. if we are not to take care about look then we
can concentrate on  functionality.

>  i'd like this to be designed as something that, going back to the
> 1970s, you receive a box of bits and some instructions and quite
> literally make it yourself.
>
>  i think you'll find that there aren't many mass-volume parts that fit
> that kind of strategy.  there may however be some off-the-shelf door
> hinges from ironmongers that better fit the requirements - i'm only
> half kidding here!!!

:). in the end you will have to adapt parts but if you can make it
relatively cheap and easy to make, there is no problem. In may cases this
is true.

> > Anyway, if you made decision about LCD (at least we can picks some for
> > start) I can draw you preliminary casing based on your sketches and this
> > hinge.
>
>  this one:
>

> http://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/TFT-LED-LCD-PANEL-MODULE-NOTEBOOK-LG-15.4-LP154WP4-TLA1-1440-900-330-NITS.pdf

let me try to recreate this part from the sketch ...or anyone know how to
get 3d model of this?

> > Also, there is keyboard and track pad parts to be solved for lower body
>
>  yes.   keyboards that don't have built-in USB chip would be good (FPC
> keyboard matrix pinouts).  the track pad however is a different
> matter: built-in IC (preferably USB-based) or I2C.
>
>  anyone know of anything like this?
>
> l.

Hrvoje Lasić
Tehnicka Radionica Zagreb d.o.o.