[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Fri Apr 26 14:40:55 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 19:12 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:

>  the goal here is to see if it's possible to design something that can
> be picked up by one corner and not crack the screen.... but *not* need
> massive NREs on the casework.

Have you thought about a plywood laptop?

Ha ha ha! (There I laughed for all!  :)  )

Something like Birch plywood is extremely strong,
light weight, cheap, and can be cut with laser.
No moulding costs. Eco friendly.
1000 laptops can be out the door in a couple of days.

I have access to laser to trial one if final dimensions of all the parts
are available (but I'm not a good 3D designer unless you want a
rectangular box thingy that resembles a cross between briefcase and
ancient retro portable).

It won't have a keyboard or mouse pad
just a tray where a mini keyboard + mouse can be
dropped in and connected by USB.

Bamboo glued into sheets is another material already in use for laptops.