[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat Apr 20 23:29:31 BST 2013

* Davin Gibb (davin.gibb at gmail.com) wrote:
> I saw just recently a 13" tablet driving retina (term meaning better dpi than legacy) resolution 2048x1536 on an A31.
>
> Given that the A31 is up there in GPU performance, I had expected it to perform very well. But it was laggy (yes it could mean many factors causing this).
>
> 13" was ok from a dpi perspective but be very careful of making anything this day and age w/o higher dpi. On the shelf it looks sooooo yesteryear. This is even more so if your market is adult based. Word of mouth will kill the < 220 dpi market if it hasn't already.
>
> 15" with 2048x1536 would be an absolute minimum.

I wish that were true; but for laptops I don't think it is yet; it's rare to find
stuff above 1920x1080 (other than Apple and Google Pixel).

But my point is yes, it's starting to look old for 15" less than 1920x1080 and
people will happily pay for much higher res (and they do look gorgeous)
(Smaller laptops seem to get away below 1920 still)

> But honestly I don't think arm chipsets are up for the task yet to drive it 'perception' free of it not struggling.
>
> I would look to nvidia (tegra 4?) or AMD to come out with an arm solution which smashes this (still waiting tho?)

Yeh it's probably pushing it a bit, but hey perhaps there hasn't been
that much optimisation of them.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /