[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat Apr 20 20:06:22 BST 2013

* luke.leighton (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
> <dave at treblig.org> wrote:
> > * luke.leighton (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> >> personally i would make my own laptop out of bits of cardboard and
> >> some silver gaffa tape because i think it's such an "in-your-face" way
> >> to say that you *don't* have to spend a fortune to get powerful
> >> technology in your hands.  hilarious.  a 15in laptop with a 1920x1080
> >> LCD, cost of the materials is around $170, it's modular, it's
> >> upgradeable, and you built it yourself out of recyclable materials.
> >> that's powerful stuff.
> >
> > What's the upper limit of the display res?
>
>  beyond 1920x1080 and i'd be starting to get a little concerned about
> the capability of some of the low-end SoCs to cope.  TI's SoCs are
> supposed to be able to do 2048x2048 @ 30fps no problem.  the S5PC100
> and 110 could only do 1024x768!  if you pushed it even to 1366x768 you
> started to get all sorts of weird artefacts, and you also lost two
> lines on-screen left and right because they only had 1mbyte for the
> framebuffer!
>
>  but apart from that: assuming that the SoC can do the resolution,
> then if you find the datasheet on the panel we can look at it further.
>  remember there has to be a matching IC to convert RGB/TTL to
> whatever-input-the-panel-takes.  dual LVDS, triple LVDS, MIPI etc.

I'd love to be able to provide some help finding that, but it appears
all the vendors sites are interestingly broken.  Samsung's English page
says it's down for maintenance, and I can't find anything >1920x1080 on
their chinese page (not that I can understand it).
The closest I've got on lgdisplay.com page is an error page.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /