[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:26:29 BST 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How much is that supposed to cost to the end user?

 without the mSATA drive, the BOM is likely to come to around $120 so
the price would be somewhere i am guessing if you add say 50% around
$190 retail in large enough volumes.  15in LCDs - just these 1440x900
ones - are apparently around $45 which is not bad!!  i was thinking
they'd be more around $65 to $70.

> And why not a smallish
> 9'' or 10" screen factor, without ethernet? A bit like the Samsung
> Chromebook but more compact.
>
> I'd avoid the pci ports

 yeah there'll be no pci ports.

> and use micro usb for charging. (sorry if I'm
> talking rubbish!)

 because although that's another project i'd like to see happen, this
one is for a client, who has set the requirements and is prepared to
pay for an order of up to 50k units.

 ... basically!! :)

 if you hear of anyone that would want a 9in or 10in laptop, and has
the finances or a plan to pay for it, then yes, great!  we want more
EOMA-68 products out there.

 but yes: a USB charging socket on a 9in and 10in laptop makes a lot
of sense, because the power requirements of the LCD and its backlight
are only around 2 to 2.5 watts.

 for a 15in LCD, the power requirements for running a 1440x900
"refresh" are around the 1 watt mark, and the backlight is around 5.
6 watts is a leeetle high for USB charging...