[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 20:38:13 BST 2013

hrvoje (and other 3D CAD/CAM engineers),

we've been asked by a couple of clients if we could do a 15.4in
EOMA-68 laptop.  i've spoken to bunnie already and he's "head-down" on
a "non-commercial" laptop and doesn't fully get that that's actually
what i really really want, so unfortunately we're not seeing
eye-to-eye and i have to ask other people instead.

so - hrvoje!  or anyone else skilled in 3D CAD/CAM design: would you
be interested to do an open hardware design for an EOMA-68 laptop that
takes a 15.4in LCD?  we have someone who can do the PCB so that's
covered - it's the casework design that i'm looking for.

if we can get to the point where 3D renderings can be done, then we
can put those onto a kickstarter proposal, get some cash in and make
it happen.

the client's requirements (yes i know gordan: it'll have dual LVDS so
you can put in your favourite 1920x1080 LCD :) are:

* 1440x900 $40 15.4in LCD with a LED backlight (not CCFL)
* a webcam at about the same resolution
* EOMA-68 compliant
* 4000mAh battery
* aluminium or magnesium alloy case

i've added a few others such as:

* 3 USB ports
* low-profile Ethernet jack
* mSATA card slot
* 2 MiniPCIe slots (USB-only) one for 3G with a SIM card, the other for WIFI
* MicroSD

that's it.  very simple.  it _should_ be possible to get this down to
only 15mm thickness at the widest point.

thoughts?